Monday, March 22, 2010

Reflection

_______________________Reflection________________________
Reading and Responding to Children's Literature has been a great class so far. I am very pleased two things in particular. First of all, I cannot believe how many wonderful books the class is introducing me to. I already have a lot of great titles and authors that I plan to bring into my own future classroom. I believe that it is extremely important for students to see that the teacher has a connection to the book that is being read aloud in class. Not only does this allow for the teacher to be more prepared to use the children's literature in class, but it shows students that the teacher enjoys the book and reads books too. The two novels that we have read so far in this class The Misfits and The Giver are such wonderful reads that I wish I had been introduced when I was in elementary school. The second thing I have really enjoyed from this class is the glog that we are beginning. So far the things that we have done in class are very practical that I can and will carry into my classroom such as this glog. I was excited to learn that we were going to be making a handout as a tool to interest students into a particular book, but I was even more excited that we would be trying a way that would actually stand out for the tech savvy kids today. This is a tool that seems wonderful because it does incorporate multiple forms a media to draw students attention. All in all this class is going wonderfully. Even if I did not have the practical content to take away, our classroom discussions have taught me another powerful idea: do not be afraid of one parent. Coming into this class I continue to shy away from lessons or content that may offend someone, but this class has defiantly taught me otherwise. Chances are something I will teach may offend someone at sometime, but that should not scare me away from teaching all the children wonderful books or lessons that they can truly benefit from such as The Misfits, The Lorax, or And Tango Makes Three.

No comments:

Post a Comment